If there’s one thing in the tech world that I’ve been waiting for for a few years, well, it’s a full-fledged Apple Music app on Windows. Although Apple has permanently shut down iTunes on Mac with the announcement of macOS Catalina during WWDC 2019, the Cupertino giant has not shown interest in launching a dedicated Apple Music app for Windows. While we were hoping Apple would bring Apple Music to the Microsoft Store just in time for the Windows 11 launch, that didn’t happen. Fortunately, now that Windows 11 supports Android apps, we can install Apple Music in just a few steps.
Install Apple Music on Windows 11 (2021)
If you’re looking for the best ways to download music offline using Apple Music on your Windows PC, we’ve got you covered. You will need to either use the Android app or iTunes. We also covered how to use Apple Music’s official web player and the third-party Electron app to stream music to your Windows 11 PC. Now that you know what to expect, we can get right to the heart of the matter.
Method 1: sideloading Android Apple Music app on Windows 11
We’re assuming you know one of the best new features in Windows 11 – Windows Subsystem for Android. If you are not, check out our guide on how to install and run Android apps on Windows 11. Additionally, check out our in-depth guide on how to load Android apps to prepare for your WSA installation. After performing these two steps, follow the steps to install Apple Music Android app on Windows 11.
1. We will search for Apple Music APK file from APKMirror. Visit the Apple Music list here and download the latest version of the app. Here I will download the nodpi universal version of Apple Music 3.7.1. You can browse the site for new versions of the app if you read this at a later date.
2. Open Downloads folder and locate Apple Music APK. Now right click on the APK file and choose ‘Copy as path’ to copy the exact path (file location) to the clipboard.
3. Open a command prompt window at the root of your ADB installation. You can do this by typing cmd in the file explorer address bar as shown below.
4. Then, in the CMD window, copy and paste the command below in the following format:
5. In a few seconds, you will see a confirmation prompt indicating that you have successfully installed the application. You can now access the Windows 11 Start menu to open the Apple Music Android app.
Set up the Android Apple Music app on Windows 11
1. Press the Windows key to open the Windows 11 Start menu and choose Apple Music from the Recommended section. If you hid the Recommended section, type “Apple Music” to find and open the app.
2. The Apple Music Android app will open and you can sign in with your Apple ID credentials to start using the app on Windows 11.
3. Once connected, you get the full-fledged Apple Music experience that you expect from the mobile app. Since this is the Android app, you can access the Listen Now, Browse, Radio, Library, and Search options from the bottom navigation bar.
Download Offline Songs Using Apple Music in Windows 11
The best part, however, is that you can download tracks offline using the Apple Music Android app on your Windows 11 machine.
1. To download songs to Apple Music, right click on any track and choose âDownloadâ.
2. You will find your offline songs in the Downloaded section under Library, just like the Android app. In summary, if you’ve used Apple Music on Android, you’ll have no trouble getting started here.
By the way, we’ve tried to enable lossless audio here, and it shows the âLosslessâ label in the Now Playing screen. However, we have not tested the bit rates to make sure that the output is indeed lossless.
Method 2: Install Apple Music Web Player on Windows 11 PC
In September 2019, Apple launched the Apple Music web player to bring the streaming service directly to your web browser. If you don’t plan on installing and running Android apps on Windows 11, you may want to consider using Apple Music Web instead. The downside, however, is that you can’t download offline music here. Here’s how to access Apple Music web player:
1. Visit the Apple Music web player using the link here and sign in with your Apple ID.
2. If all you want is a working player that you can use from a browser tab, you’re good to go. However, if you are looking for a dedicated window and icon to access Apple Music, you can create a shortcut to the web player. To do this, click on the three vertical dots icon at the top right and click on More tools -> Create shortcut in Chrome.
3. Check the “Open as window” box and click “Create” to get the Apple Music web player shortcut on Windows 11. Now you can easily access Apple Music from the desktop or the Start menu.
Method 3: Install Apple Music Electron app on Windows 11
Developed as an open source alternative to iTunes, Apple Music Electron is a community-supported project based on Electron 15. Besides Windows, you can also use it on macOS and Linux. Here’s how to download and use Apple Music Electron:
1. Visit Apple Music Electron’s GitHub downloads page and download the latest EXE file from the âAssetsâ section. You can then install the EXE file by double-clicking the file in the Downloads folder.
2. After installing the Apple Music Electron app, click on the “Connect” button and sign in with your Apple ID credentials to start using the service. Apple Music Electron’s interface is closer to what you get on the macOS app.
3. You have a bunch of customization features including themes, sound quality selection, Incognito mode and even Discord Rich Presence, available here. If you want to use a dedicated app for Apple Music, Apple Music Electron is worth checking out. However, since it is web player based, you will not get support for offline downloads.
Method 4: Use iTunes to Access Apple Music in Windows 11
Although obsolete, iTunes is still a working Apple Music client if you want to use the streaming service on Windows 11 but don’t want to use any of the aforementioned methods. Plus, you get offline music downloads from iTunes, unlike web player.
1. Download iTunes from Apple Support here or directly from the Microsoft Store using the link here.
2. After installing iTunes, sign in with your Apple ID and password to access all your Apple Music playlists directly from iTunes.
3. Now you can access your Apple Music account from your Windows 11 PC and even download songs offline if you prefer.
Use Apple Music on Windows 11 with ease!
It’s really surprising that Apple is delaying a new native Apple Music app for Windows. Until Apple decides to release a dedicated app, the web player and Android app should help you experience Apple Music without relying on the resource-hungry iTunes app. If you want to replace iTunes and get file transfer capabilities between your iPhone and PC, consider checking out our list of the best iTunes alternatives. So what is your preferred method to access Apple Music on Windows? Let us know in the comments below.