The lock screen on a Windows computer is the window you see every time you start up, just as you are about to log into your system. The screen is highly customizable on Windows computers. Since it’s the first thing you see every time you start working on your computer, it’s important that it has all the important things in it, things you need to catch up on instantly. For many people, this can be the weather forecast for the current and future days. In this article, we’ll show you how to add the weather widget to your lock screen, as well as your Windows 10 desktop screen and taskbar.
How to add a weather widget to the lock screen in Windows 10
The process to do this is unsurprisingly easy. All you need to do is change your Windows settings and you are good to go. Here is what this change consists of:
- Open Windows settings by simultaneously pressing the Windows and “I” keys
- From the options available in the main window, go to Personalization
- Here, click on Lock screen in the left options pane
- Here you see an option to add items to your lock screen. This usually includes the date and time, next to which is a “+” sign.
- Click on it and in the list, select “Weather”
- If you want to undo this change, click on it again and this time select “None”
How to add the weather to the desktop in Windows 10
The process is not as easy to replicate with your desktop as it is with the lock screen. In fact, Microsoft does not offer its users to add a weather widget to their desktop screen using a built-in utility. So, we have to rely on third party apps for the same. The most reliable and efficient for this is a package named Widget Launcher. It consists of not only weather, but several other widgets like date and time, currency conversion, etc.
The process of setting up the app is quite straightforward and only takes a few minutes. Here is what you need to do:
- Download the Widget launcher app from the Microsoft Store. (He was called HD Widget before, so you can search with that name too).
- Launch the app once downloaded.
- There you will see all of the widgets that the package has to offer.
- The last one on the list will be the one named “Weather”.
- Click to configure it.
Type in your location, or the location whose weather you want to track, and enter it.
You will find a widget like below on your desktop screen. You can customize this widget based on your preferences, such as its colors and how transparent you want it to be.
You can also drag to increase or decrease its size depending, again, on your choice and how many apps you have on your desktop, as a large widget can make it look cluttered. If you want to get rid of it, just open Widget Launcher and turn it off.
How to add a weather widget to the taskbar in Windows 10
This isn’t something a user of the latest version of Windows would ask for, as it has been supported by Microsoft with the News & Interest feature. This utility sits on a user’s taskbar, showing the weather forecast, and when you hover your mouse over it, you see several maps, some with the news you want to read and things that interest you.
So, the best way to get the weather feature on your taskbar without resorting to a third-party utility is to update your PC to the latest version of Windows and use the News & Interests feature.
We hope you have found this article helpful and now you can view the weather widget anywhere on your PC.