Brian Fitzpatrick gave Rutgers another solid effort on the mound, pitching 5.0 scoreless innings with six strikeouts and no walks to pick up the win and improve their record to 2-1.
He was relieved by french garrettwho came on to pitch 2.0 scoreless innings to keep the Mavericks off the scoreboard for seven innings.
After Omaha loaded the bases in the 8and with two withdrawals, Nate McLain came into play and induced soft ground on second to get out of a jam.
Parker Scott finished the game, pitching a one-run ninth inning to close out the victory.
“Our throwing has been really good this week,” the head coach said. Steve Owens noted. “We had two good starts. Garrett and Nate came in a good position and got some outs. Parker was able to get us three outs without having to use any other guys.”
On offense, the Scarlet Knight bats were able to rebound after being shut out in Game 1 of the series. After a walk in pairs Danny DiGeorgio in the first round, Nick Cimillo led it with an RBI brace to put RU ahead 1-0.
In the 6and inning, Evan Sleigh blasted a solo home run to make it 2-0, before a Garrett Callaghan a two-run homer two batters later doubled the lead to 4-0.
In the 7andan RBI single from DiGeorgio and a two-run home run by Tony Santa Maria would be anything but putting the game away.
“The offense was better today,” Owens said. “We scored all but one of our runs with two outs. We had Evan’s home run to give us some breathing room. Garrett’s home run was a big hit. The home runs were big today. today.”
“Our throwing was really good this week. We had two great starts. Garrett and Nate got into a big position and struck out. Parker was able to get us three outs without having to use any other guys.
Saturday’s win tied the series with Omaha at one game apiece. Rutgers will look to win the series on Sunday afternoon at noon.
“It’s tough to win a series on the road,” Owens said. “Tomorrow is our last day and I expect our guys to give their all. Hopefully we play well and go home 14-4.”
- T1 | After Danny DiGeorgio market with 2 withdrawals, Nick Cimillo threw an RBI brace into the left corner of the field. UK 1-0
- T6 | Evan Sleigh smashes a ball into the right field wall for a solo home run (2). UK 2-0
- T6 | Garrett Callaghan hits a two-run (1) home run to right center field, scoring Josh Kuroda-Grauer who hit a field single. UK 4-0
- T7 | Richie Schiekofer starts the inning with a double on the left field line. Danny DiGeorgio pushes him with a single left field. UK 5-0
- T7 | Ryan Lasko drops a single into right field. Tony Santa Maria follows with a two-run (4) home run to left field. UK 7-0.
- B9 | Omaha made its only run on a sack fly to score a first step. UK 7-1.
The Scarlet Knights are looking to win the series against the Mavericks in Sunday’s Finals at 12:00 p.m. ET.
Follow Rutgers Athletics on Facebook and Twitter (@RUAthletics) for all the latest news and updates. For specific baseball updates, follow the program on Twitter (@RutgersBaseball), Instagram (@rutgersbaseball) and Facebook (/BaseballRU). For additional updates, please download the Scarlet Knights app via the App Store or Play Store.