September 14, 2021
Apple’s Most Popular iPad Delivers Even More Performance and Advanced Features
10.2-inch iPad includes A13 Bionic, Center Stage, True Tone, and now starts with double the storage, all at an incredible value
CUPERTINO, CALIFORNIA Apple today introduced the new iPad (9th generation), featuring the powerful A13 Bionic chip that brings even more performance and capability to the most popular iPad, while maintaining its full day battery life.1 Starting at just $ 329, the new iPad features a 10.2-inch Retina display with True Tone, an ultra-wide 12MP front camera with Center Stage, support for Apple Pencil ( 1st generation) and Smart Keyboard, the iPadOS 15 intuitive and twice as much storage as the previous generation. The new iPad is available to order starting today on apple.com and in stores starting Friday, September 24.
“The iPad has never been more essential for working, learning and communicating, and we’re excited to bring one of the most important updates ever to our most popular iPad,” said Greg Joswiak, vice – Apple’s senior president of global marketing. “With the powerful A13 Bionic, more engaging video calling with Center Stage and dual storage, the new iPad offers advanced capabilities, versatility and simplicity at an incredible price. “
A13 Bionic with Neural Engine brings more performance to the iPad
The new iPad is equipped with the powerful A13 Bionic chip, offering a 20% performance improvement over the previous generation. This makes the new iPad up to 3 times faster than the best-selling Chromebook, and up to 6 times faster than the best-selling Android tablet.2 The extra performance will allow users to seamlessly run advanced apps and games on the most affordable iPad. The A13 Bionic’s neural engine also powers next-level machine learning capabilities, including Live Text available in iPadOS 15, which uses the intelligence of the device to recognize text in a photo on which the users can take action.
Advanced 12MP ultra-wide front camera with center stage
The Center Stage experience on iPad Pro is now available on iPad, enabled by the new Ultra Wide 12MP front camera and Neural Engine, so users can enjoy even more engaging video calls. As users move, Center Stage automatically pans the camera to keep them in view. When other people join you, the camera detects them too and smoothly zooms out to include them in the conversation. Center Stage makes video calling more natural in FaceTime as well as third-party video calling apps. Whether it’s catching up with loved ones virtually or using iPad in a distance learning environment, Center Stage makes the connection experience more engaging than ever.
10.2 inch screen offers True Tone for enhanced viewing experience
For the first time, True Tone arrives on the gorgeous 10.2-inch Retina display on iPad. A new and improved ambient light sensor activates True Tone, which adjusts screen content to a room’s color temperature. True Tone on the new iPad makes images more natural and gives users a more comfortable viewing experience in all lighting environments.
Double storage to do more on the go
With its thin and light design and its cellular option,3 IPad gives users the freedom to work, learn, play, and connect at home or on the go. The new iPad starts with 64GB of storage – double the storage of the previous generation – providing even more value to iPad users. A 256GB option is also available for users looking to store more apps, games, photos, and videos.
An even more intuitive iPad experience with iPadOS 15
iPadOS 15 brings new features that take advantage of the unique capabilities of the iPad, helping users be more productive and further increasing the versatility of the iPad:
- Multitasking is even more intuitive, making features like Split View and Slide Over easier to discover, easier to use, and more powerful.
- New widget layouts for the Home screen and App Library provide easy ways to personalize the iPad experience and organize apps.
- Notes goes system-wide with Quick Note and offers new ways to collaborate and organize, whether it’s typing or writing with Apple Pencil.
- The Translate app comes to iPad with new features that make conversations easier and more natural, including machine translation and face-to-face viewing.
- Live Text uses device intelligence to recognize text in a photo and empower users to take action. For example, a snapshot of a storefront might reveal a phone number and the ability to place a call.
- Focus allows users to automatically filter notifications based on what they are currently doing, such as working, reading, exercising, playing games, or sleeping.
- FaceTime calls are more natural with spatial audio and a new Portrait mode. And now Group FaceTime offers the option to display participants in same-sized tiles in a new grid view.
iPad and the environment
The new iPad features a 100% recycled aluminum casing, marking a milestone where each model in the iPad range now has a 100% recycled aluminum casing. The iPad also uses 100% recycled tin in the main logic board solder and 100% recycled rare earth elements in the case magnets.
Today, Apple is carbon neutral for the operations of global companies and, by 2030, expects to have zero net climate impact across the enterprise, which includes manufacturing supply chains and all product lifecycles. This means that every Apple device sold, from component manufacturing, assembly, transportation, customer use, charging, to recycling and material recovery, will be 100% neutral in carbon.
Pricing and availability
- The new iPad is available to order starting today at apple.com/store and in the Apple Store app in 28 countries and regions, including the United States, with availability starting Friday, September 24. .
- IPad Wi-Fi models are available with a starting price of $ 329 (US) and Wi-Fi + Cellular models are starting to $ 459 (US), in silver and space gray finishes. The new iPad starts off with 64GB of storage, which is double the storage of the previous generation. A 256 GB option is also available.
- iPadOS 15, the powerful operating system designed specifically for the iPad, is available from Monday, September 20 and comes free with the new iPad. iPadOS 15 will be available as a free software update for iPad mini 4 and later, iPad Air 2 and later, iPad 5th generation and later, and all iPad Pro models.
- Apple Pencil (1st generation), available for purchase separately, is compatible with iPad (9th generation) for $ 99 (WE).
- Smart Keyboard for iPad is available for purchase separately for $ 159 (United States) with layouts for over 30 languages, including Simplified Chinese, French, German, Japanese, and Spanish.
- Smart Cover for iPad is available for $ 49 (US) in black, white and English lavender.
- Customers can purchase any model of iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular directly from apple.com/store or from an Apple Store and get up to $ 200 (US) return from T-Mobile / Sprint or Verizon with activation. Conditions apply. For eligibility requirements and more details, visit apple.com/shop/buy-ipad. Customers can also trade in their current iPad and get credit for a new one.
- Burn iPad with a meaningful mix of emoji, text, and numbers, all for free at apple.com/store or in the Apple Store app.
- Apple provides customers with a number of in-store and online services that make its retail experience unique to Apple. With personalized support and advice from Apple specialists, convenient delivery and pickup options, free burning, and special ways to save with deals from Apple carriers and great trade-in values, Apple guarantees that the best way to purchase Apple products is in Apple Store and Apple .com / store.
Apple revolutionized personal technology with the introduction of the Macintosh in 1984. Today, Apple is the world leader in innovation with iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple Watch and Apple TV. Apple’s five software platforms – iOS, iPadOS, macOS, watchOS, and tvOS – deliver seamless experiences across all Apple devices and provide users with revolutionary services including the App Store, Apple Music, Apple Pay, and iCloud . Apple’s more than 100,000 employees are dedicated to making the world’s best products and leaving the world a better place than we found it.
- Battery life varies by use and configuration.
- Testing conducted by Apple in August 2021 on preproduction iPad (9th generation) systems with the Apple A13 Bionic chip, as well as production Android tablet systems based on Qualcomm SDM 429 with the latest version of Android 11 available at the time testing and production Intel Celeron N4000 based Chromebook systems with the latest version of Chrome OS 92 available at time of testing. Top-selling systems are based on publicly available sales data over the past 12 months. Tested with common tasks in commercial applications and some industry standard references. Performance depends on device settings, usage, environment, and many other factors. Performance tests are performed using specific systems and reflect approximate iPad performance.
- Wireless plan and coverage are required. Speeds will vary. Check with carriers for details.
Apple Media Support Line