Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition has been around for over two years, and the team is still dedicated to rolling out regular updates to keep players engaged and to get the balance ironed out. This update should be available to anyone playing through Steam, Microsoft Store, or PC Game Pass. Some mods may not work with this update; if you’re having trouble, try disabling mods before launching a game.
The latest patch – Update 59165 – brings a few stability and performance fixes, but the main attraction here is kicking off a Venetian Ball event that runs from February 22 to March 8. There are many tasks in the game that need to be completed in order to unlock all the rewards. Anyone who signs in with their Xbox Live account will be able to keep these rewards forever. Logging in also unlocks a Carnival Queen profile picture. There are two more profile pictures that can be unlocked by completing all daily challenges.
The following challenges must be completed on different days, but keep in mind that you have until March 8 to complete them.
As for the actual patch notes, it looks like the balance changes aren’t quite ready to come out of the oven. The focus is on stability, UI and bugs. You can check out the full list of patch notes on the official Age of Empires blog, but I’ve also included a brief overview here.
Stability and performance
- Various game performance improvements in multiplayer matches.
- Fixed a crash that could occur during gameplay on older versions of Windows 10.
- Added a new setting in the Options menu to cap the frame rate while gaming. This setting is only active when the V-Sync setting is disabled and the frame rate can be fully uncapped.
- The tech tree can now be properly navigated again when the “go to building” https://www.windowscentral.com/”select all buildings” hotkeys are not assigned.
- Fixed an issue where the co-op campaign intro slideshow could overlap with the lobby browser UI under certain circumstances.
- Added a new setting in the options interface menu to enable/disable the Smooth Serif font added in the January update.
- Unit spawn locations directly around buildings dragging them down can no longer be blocked by the foundations of enemy walls that have not yet been built on.
- Traditional Chinese: Smooth Serif font is now correctly translated in the options interface menu.
There are also a number of ongoing investigations into performance issues, cooldowns, cheating, queue dodging, and general multiplayer service issues. The Age team also reminds players to report crashes and freezes to help them sort things out. Check out our list of the best gaming laptops if you’re thinking of getting into this game.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.